My studio is an anomaly, in that it does not use “Pro Tools” or any other commercial software. In fact, 100% of the software used (down to the low-level hardware drivers) is open-source software. This allows unprecedented freedom in the creative process, as you aren’t tied down to any proprietary products with proprietary vendors. Of course, free software does not mean that the software is of lesser quality; in fact, many of the pieces of software used in this studio are far superior to their commercial counterparts (ardour is IMHO, far superior to Pro Tools).
- Computer – AMD Athlon64/X2 4000
- Multitrack Audio Card – RME Hammerfall 9652
- A/D D/A Converter - Behringer Ultragain Pro-8 Digital ADA8000 x 2 = 16 channels in, 16 channels out
- MIDI Machine Controller – Behringer BCF-2000
- Operating System – Ubuntu Studio. (Linux with a patched realtime kernel)
- Multitrack DAW – ardour v2.3.1
- Mastering – jamin v0.95.0
- Interconnect – JACK Audio Connection Kit
- Drum Sequencer – Hydrogen v0.9.3
Mics and Accessories
- Rane MH-4 Mojo series headphone distributor
- Behringer HA-8000 8 port headphone distributor
- Trace Elliot GP12 Series 6 instrument preamp
- Yamaha HS 50-M near-field monitors
- Auralex sound proofing / acoustic management
- dbx 262 Stereo compressor
- Line 6 Bass PODxt Live bass effects processor
- Behringer MDX-4600 quad compressor
- Behringer VX-2496 vocal processor
- Sennheiser MD 421 II dynamic microphone
- Shure SM58 Beta mic
- Shure AXS-1 mic
- Shure SM57 mic
- Shure PGDMK4 drum mic kit
- … more to be listed …
- Cables – More XLR cables would be nice, since we always seem to be running low. There’s already a bunch of nice 2 foot XLR cables for patches, but another snake and some quality 15-25′ XLR cables would be nice.
- Memory – When does more RAM ever hurt?
- Sound-proofing materials – You can never have enough of this stuff …
Just in case anyone is keeping track of this, “Pro Tools” is a trademark which belongs to its parent company, just like all of the other trademarks and service marks being used here. These are my opinions, do with them what you will. End of legal disclaimer.